20 Jan Hawaiian Chicken Wings in Red Sauce Recipe
Serves/Makes: 4 – 6 servings
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- Fat for frying
Oriental-Style Frying Batter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Few drops of egg yolk color food coloring
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 20 ounces tomato juice
- 5 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 pound sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Few drops of red food coloring
- Few fennel seeds
How to cook Hawaiian Chicken Wings in Red Sauce:
- Prepare red sauce; keep warm.
- Shape chicken wings into drumsticks.
- Beat together Oriental-style batter eggs, flour, cold water, salt, and egg yolk color food coloring until smooth.
- Dip chicken wing drumsticks into batter until completely coated.
- Deep-fry into hot 375°F (190°C) fat, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve, along with the hot red sauce.
- Bring together hot water, tomato juice, pineapple juice, sugar, and vinegar to a boil.
- Dilute cornstarch into cold water before adding to boiling mixture, beating well.
- Stir in a few drops of red food coloring and a few fennel seeds.
- Leave to simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, until thickened.
- To shape chicken wings into drumsticks, cut off the wing tips then halve wings at joint.
- Separate the ‘drumstick’ or first-joint pieces, the thick ones, from the second-joint pieces.
- Beginning at the narrower end of each ‘drumstick’, cut the tendons using a sharp knife.
- Holding the exposed end of the bone with a kitchen towel, scrape the skin and meat down the bone as far as possible toward the thicker end to make a plump drumstick shape.
- Cut through the cartilage at one end of each second-joint piece; separating the bones, scrape the skin and meat down the larger bone to make a plump drumstick shape then pull out and discard the smaller bone.
The Hawaiian Chicken Wings in Red Sauce recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook. This is a catering or party recipe. Serve red sauce on-the-side.
This recipe for Hawaiian Chicken Wings in Red Sauce serves/makes: 4 – 6 servings.